Tuesday, February 23, 2010

gendered diaries

Every month, my children's school and daycare sends home book club order forms, the same kind that I received when I was in elementary school. I couldn't even begin to count how many times I have seen a little diary with a lock and two keys in it- usually pink or purple, sometimes with lace or other frilly designs and clearly labeled 'Diary' or 'Journal'

This time, I found a diary that is not geared towards girls... note that it is not called a diary.


I'm not going to bother with details about the appearance of the journal, because I believe it is quite obvious.

I am both happy and annoyed with this product. Happy that boys are finally being allowed to have an outlet to write things down. Unfortunately, they won't be able to do much writing of their innermost thoughts and feelings, as they will be busy "With cool activities and loads of bizarre facts, this fun-filled journal will keep young boys entertained for hours." Girls, apparently, will not be entertained by cool activities or bizarre facts.

Girls don't need activities in their journals... although, my daughter has a Hannah Montana journal with a lock and activities, so that isn't entirely gendered, but I would love to analyze some of the differences in the content... like does this journal tell you to write down the name of your best friend, favorite teacher, and 'ultimate crush'? I suspect there will be fewer lists and more activities in the 'boys' version.

But really, do we to segregate journals by gender?

1 comment:

  1. When I was looking up this book I found another one titled "For Boys Only: The Biggest, Baddest Book Ever". It teaches boys to land an airplane in an emergency and fight off an alligator. They have a website also, http://www.forboysonlybook.com/ (but you can't go to it unless you have a penis, don't try your computer will know.)

    ReplyDelete