Friday, June 4, 2010

Baby Gaga Telephone video

Here is an interesting video of a preschooler doing Lady Gaga's Telephone video.



I find it telling that an outfit that looks "normal" to us on a grown woman looks so odd on a young girl(wait, did I just say Lady Gaga's outfits looked normal?). I don't mean because of the sexualization of children, as I didn't find most of the little girl's outfits to be too outrageous in that sense. It is normal for women to put so much work into their appearance, but it is not normal for men or children to do so.

When the adult dancers show up, however, I find the little girl looks so scared... I'd like to think that she's thinking "Please, don't let me grow up to be valued only for my ability to dance around in skimpy outfits" but I'm pretty sure it's more of a "who are these people and are they almost done yet" expression.


As a sidenote, Jezebel (a really good blog) has a lot of comments on this video, many of them including posters condemning the child's mother for letting her do the video. Why is the blame placed only on the mother? Assuming someone should be blamed for the video, what about the father or the (male) producer?

No comments:

Post a Comment