Saturday, June 12, 2010

Stripper Pinatas

This video is a news story for adult pinata's that are shaped like strippers, pole and all.



This is a very odd news story to me, because the adults keep talking about how the display is horrible because it can be viewed by children in passing cars.

Does anybody realize that, more problematic than the fact that children can see cartoonish breasts might be that grown men (and women) are beating 4 foot tall replicas of naked women with bats for fun? But then, on the Madonna/whore dichotomy, strippers definitely fall in the "whore" category, and are therefore not "deserving" of being treated with any degree of respect.

I won't embed this next video, because I find it quite disturbing, but if you want to watch people beating at one of these pinatas with a stick and laughing, it is also on youtube.

Maybe the news, and society more generally, needs to reframe their views on such issues when violence against women is so normalized that it isn't even considered in a news story about people beating images of women.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad to say I'm not surprised. I used to get enraged when I saw stories and the coverage of such stories like this, but these days, I just feel very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete